How to Determine the Status of Your Disability Claim
Now that you have applied for disability, all you have to do is wait to find out if your claim has been approved. Sometimes the process can take up to a full 12 months, so waiting can be difficult. It is easy to think that the Social Security Administration (SSA) has forgotten about you. But, you can rest assured your application is going through the proper steps. In fact, to set your mind at ease, you can check your claim’s status any time you want by following the steps below.
Create an account or log in
First, you need to log into your Social Security account. If you have not yet created an account, you should do so now so you can access the information you need. All you need to do is visit the SSA’s home page , click on the “Sign-in/Up link”, and follow the online instructions. You will not be able to check the status of your claim without having a “My Social Security” account.
What can you learn from your status?
It is always a good idea to check the status of your claim, as it can provide a lot of information.
- Your re-entry number (in case you had to save your application and finish it at a different time)
- The date your application was received
- The date and time of your scheduled hearing
- The current claim or appeal location, including the address of the office that is processing your claim
- If a decision has been made on your claim yet
Why check the status of a claim?
A disability claim must go through several steps before a final decision is made about it. Since the process can take quite a while, it is wise to check the status at regular intervals to assure it is making its way through the process.
The initial claim
If you are at the initial claim process, there are three ways you can check the status of your claim:
- Call your local SSA office
- Contact the disability examiner who has been assigned to your case
- Checking the status online
Request for reconsideration
At the “request for reconsideration” stage, which is usually the first step of the appeals process, you can check the status of your claim by contacting your local SSA office or your disability examiner.
When your case is at the appeal hearing stage, you can check the status of your claim two ways:
- If your claim has not yet been transferred, you can check with your local SSA office or your disability examiner.
- If your claim has been transferred, you can check with the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODJR)
Appeals Council Review
In the unlikely event your claim gets to the Appeals Council Review stage, you can check the status by calling the Appeals Council at 1-703-605-8000. If your claim gets to this point, it is advisable that you have legal representation. Your representative can make the call to check the status as well.
Federal court appeal
If your claim gets to this level, your representative must make all status checks on it.
If you have questions regarding checking the status of your claim, or any other matters regarding applying for disability benefits, contact London Disability today.